October 21, 2012

BSN Putrajaya Night Marathon

Away from the Piala Malaysia Final between ATM and Kelantan in Shah Alam which momentarily turned into Kota Bharu, I endured another half marathon adventure in the bright empty city of Putrajaya. Joined by virgin half marathoner, Dinie. We left "Kota Bharu" and never looked back.

An underrated event which consists of all the running categories to suit every level of runners from full marathon to 5k fun run. Flag-off was at 8.20 p.m infront of the Istana Kehakiman and off we go into the lifeless federal administrative center of Malaysia. The plan was to run with Dinie for the first 30 minutes but we managed only 7 minutes together. With the monsoon weather kicking in extra high gear lately, I was expecting a wet run. Thank God, dark storm clouds that were looming that evening had dispersed and the night sky was as clear as you can asked for.

One of many bridges in Putrajaya along the route

I had no intention of breaking my PB in the SCKLM because this time around I brought along a camera which I held uncomfortably in my hand wrapped in a plastic (expected it would be raining) as I wanted to stop and snap pictures along the way. Loving the group of people that cheered for the runners and made the night lively at least to their best effort. There were moments when some uncivilized impatient drivers honking non-stop as they were held up by traffic police to let runners past through. What's the hurry!? What does Putrajaya has to offer that you can't wait for 30 minutes the most !?!?

Barefoot runner running past me =P *salute

The  extraordinary sights and sounds along the route

Moving on. I had a steady 10k with 1:02', which turned into a bad 8k after that, and finally became the worst 3k of my life. I was battling mother of all cramps in both of my calf and hamstring, plus excruciating knee pain. There could be two reasons for my injuries here. First, I'd may not warmed up properly which was only a slow jog of 300m from the car to the race site and some light stretches. Second, the shoes (NB 1080v2) may not fit my running profile. Gotta go get them Newtons =P

The last 3k of the run took me almost 30 minutes.  I was limping, walking, massaging and stretching them cramps on the side curbs and continued running with a gimp. I felt like there's a baby alien about to pop out from inside of my leg. I managed to push through the pain with the help from the cheering crowd that grew louder as I was approaching the finish line. Crossed the finish line with 2:35'20", collected the finisher tee and medal and went straight to the third last place any runner would never wanted to end up in; the medical tent (1st: back of an ambulance van, 2nd: sweeper bus), to get some ice treatment. Great job to the medical team. They were very helpful and kind.

ICE ICE BABY~

Once the legs felt better, I went to my favorite part of the event, the finish line, cheering runners on. Overall great event, love the finisher tee. Best one I had so far. Pretty bummed out that the milo station packed up early. 


With Dinie minus my shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment