October 23, 2013

BSN Putrajaya Night Marathon 2013 - half marathon race report







Since I started joining running events, I always envy runners who wear costumes or any sort of party props. It takes the mind off the distance that one must cover and put a smile on others. Besides that, it sends a message to others especially non runners, that running is fun. Since it was a night run, so I figured to get in the act, I bought a pack of glow sticks. Simple and nothing too dramatic, but just enough to join the party. This was my second time running in the half marathon category in the BSN Putrajaya Night Marathon. I didn't have a good outing last time around. Ended up in the medical tent after crossing the finish line. Thankfully this year I ended up at Dutch Lady chocolate milk booth. 



The venue of the race was at Precint 3, Putrajaya, where Istana Kehakiman being the backdrop of the start and finish line. Arrived at the venue a couple of minutes before 7 p.m and parked my car near Masjid Besi. The full marathon category was flagged off at 8 p.m and the half marathon category was flagged off at 8.20 p.m. Once I'm satisfied with the amount of glow sticks on me, I gave some to my friends and few that left to other runners at the starting line. 



The first 5KM was hard to run because you got too little space between you and the person running in front of you. It was a cool and breezy night due to heavy rain earlier in the evening. Plus, there was a short drizzle during the run. The route was the same as last year's. I stopped at the water station at around KM12 for a banana and another water station at KM16 for a refill in my water bottle. 



Crossed the finish line at 2:10'04". Again the elusive sub 2-hour eluded me. But this time around I was not so bumped out about it because I came into the run with the mindset to have fun. Sometimes you are so hooked on to the figures such as the pace you're at, distance covered, distance to go, personal best etc. You forgot the real reason why you run at the first place. You should just let it sink, from the pain and suffering to the freedom and joy that running gives you. People should take it easy and have fun. I suggest that everyone should try at least once to wear a costume or a party prop, because it's ten times more fun! 



Collected the finisher medal, refreshments, and finisher tee. I really like the color of the finisher tee for half marathon category. It's like this green slight blueish color. Can't say the same for the full marathon category finisher tee which is in pink. Guys, I feel your pain. It hurts more to wear pink than running 42KM right?! LOL Let's look at it in a different perspective where you guys are supporting Breast Cancer Awareness month.  



Finally, quick shout out to Mira and Haqim for completing their first 10k run. Always love to see new faces in the running scene. The excitement on their faces talking about their runs, reminds me of my first time running in a big running event. Great jobs guys and keep running!




Remember to have fun with your run =)







No comments:

Post a Comment