January 4, 2012

Newton New Year Challenge

Date: 1 January 2012

Challenge accepted! Some people would question our sanity to partake in a run on new year's morning where most people are probably sound asleep after a night out on new year's eve. Reactions that I got from my friends when I'm telling them I'm crashing out early that night to wake up the next morning for a run totally puzzled them. "Who would run on new year's morning?" If you asked me that question a year ago, I would say "ko gile ke!" but now I'm one of them =P

The crew consists the usual suspects, Paan and Faiz. The run started off at 6.30 am for 12k. I thought we would be running around residential areas where the route supposed to be flat and fast. Well, I was right with the first part but I can assure you it ain't flat. There were nice uphill climbs along Persiaran Puncak Jalil and another climb along Paragon Heights. I gave myself a shout at the highest point of Puncak Jalil to keep myself going. It was a very quiet run, only 2 or 3 cars on the road and the fact everybody was pacing themselves during the climb controlling their breathing which leave no room for the occasional chit chat. After the last water station, I was quite surprised that we were fast approaching back the school area which was very near towards the finish line. I think not having the kilometers signage post put up to indicate how long the distance was a blessing in disguised. It took your mind off how far left you have to go and just concentrate and enjoy the run. After crossing the finish line, there were refreshments ready for the runners such as rambutans, milo and 100 plus.

Overall, I was really pleased with the event. Although it is small but well organized. What better way to usher in the new year by getting the heart pumped up so you can have a healthy and joyful year.

Here's to more running, great camaraderie & a healthy year

I'm in the top 100 out of 414 runners. not bad huh!?

No comments:

Post a Comment