November 30, 2014

Penang Bridge International Marathon 2014 - full marathon race (makan) report







This was the first time the Penang Bridge marathon was staged at the new Penang Second Bridge. The bridge is 24km long and the marathon was basically a run from one end to another and back. This was my third marathon and the last one for this year. So I was looking to close it out strong, perhaps with a new pr



The last time I came to Penang was back in 2012 for the half marathon category at the Penang First Bridge which is 13.5km long. Back then I went up all alone, took the bus on the eve of race day, find a place to stay on the day itself, which was really troublesome, and when back the next day. This time around I traveled up with a friend and met up with others there. More planned out and booked my room in advanced(1 week before the run and all the cheaper rooms are fully booked-luckily we got an assist from a local friend).




A self-portrait on the second bridge as we arrived into the island.



FOOD HUNT



It won't be complete if you went to Penang and didn't indulge yourselves with what Penang have to offer. their food! As soon as we reached the island, no time was wasted, the food hunt begins. Carbo-loading wouldn't be problem. 




Breakfast at Transfer Road with Faiz.




Nasi kandaq Merlin for lunch




Mee sotong for early dinner at Padang Kota Lama,
then tapau satu for dinner too.



THE RACE



The full marathon was flagged off at 1:30 a.m. The men were released first, followed by the women 15 minutes later. The bridge was really congested up until the arch of the bridge at KM3. The moment I started running on the bridge, I realized that it was going to be a long quiet run as both ways were occupied by runners running back and forth, it left no rooms for spectators. Thus crowd cheers were only at the start and finish line which was after you got off the bridge. Entertainment on the bridge were limited to drums and a lion dance but then stopped after I had made my u-turn and were heading back.  



There's nothing to see as you're running in the middle of the night, accompanied by the darkness of the sea on both sides. Nothing to distract your mind off the run, the distances left-you have to wonder as there were no distance markers-and the physical and mental pain that you're most probably in. The weather turned out to be perfect. It was a warm night and not that very windy.



One positive that I saw was that the course was flat 90% of the run. It's the flattest course I've ever ran in. So a pr was beckoning for most runners and I wanted mine too! But I had my setbacks early in the run. Around KM10, I felt a sharp pain on my left toes. I tried to shake it off but the pain just got more aggravated the further I run. Stopped at the medic, took my shoe and sock off, and noticed there's blisters around my toes. I quickly asked for plaster from the medic volunteer and tape it up, F1 racing style!




The only thing to snap during the run, the arch, nothing much to see after that. 




Oh yeah spotted Goku running full too, no big deal.  




Much needed at 4 a.m? I don't think so.




The course



At KM35, I realized I had a shot to finish the marathon within 5 hours. So I sucked everything in and picked up the pace. At this point, the full marathon runners were joined by the back end of half marathon runners, and it started to get crowded. Many half runners were walking and I had to maneuver my way around them.



When I was only 1 km away from the finish line with couple of minutes to spare before the 5 hour mark, I was emotionally happy and started cruising to savor the moment. I crossed the finish line at 4:56'45". I made it, I got my damn sub 5-hour marathon finish, and a new pr. I couldn't ask for more. It's been a great first marathon year for me. Although I had joined only 3 runs this year, but each one is memorable with its own story, where the failure was bitter and the success tasted even sweeter. That's it. It's time to recover, rest and relax. See you next year!     




With elite runner, Edan Syah, placing 3rd for Malaysia best and 8th for overall half marathon men's category. Congrats bro!



Post race meal at Kapitan with Anwar, Idzwan, Diana and Hafriz.





1 comment:

  1. Great Post and nice article.All of the photos are so good. I Like it.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete