January 3, 2013

Newton Challenge 25k

What better way to end 2012 with other than a 25k run which is the longest distance I've run so far. Funny thing is, I started the year with a 12k run at this very same event (New Year Newton Challenge), and now a year later to run in the 25k category feels so surreal. Not just the distance had changed, but also the faces I'm running with. No matter who I'm running with, I'm just happy I could share the passion and enthusiasm with them.

I'm not familiar with the area, so I did what everyone would do, googled map. Disappointingly on the morning of the race day I still got lost. Somehow, I ended up at Puchong IOI Mall. Turned back, and looked up for Bandar Kinrara signboards. After few turns, I arrived at the race venue with few minutes to spare before the run starts.

The flagged-off was at 5.30 a.m for the 25k category. Stopped for subuh prayer at surau Pangsapuri Enggang which was along the route 5k into the run. Honestly, I'd almost fall asleep while praying. From middle pack runners straight into last pack runners. A bit heavy to continue running because my body had already cool down and I was pretty sleeeeeeppy *yawn

From the previous newton challenge run here earlier this year, I knew what to expect, there will be climb, climb and MORE climbs =( but I welcomed the challenge with open arms. Not even one hill climb did I stop to walk. I kept running and maintained a steady pace, and on the descents I just let my body momentum carried me down the hill. The usual knee pain did come in the middle of my run, but it was bearable and by now I know that it is part of the struggles in my long runs that I need to endure.

So, basically, it's up and down and repeat it for another 20 times, and you'd reached the finish line. I had a bad sore throat the night before the run. Thankfully, the morning weather was cool and cloudy, so I can enjoy and focus on my run. 

Overall a great event. Got the opportunity to volunteer at the race pack collection. That was cool. The only downside was I didn't get my share of watermelons which I assumed the 12k runners already finished them up, and there were no milo booth which what the last event had.

Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family, friends, and the running and cycling community who supported and joined me on my running and cycling journey this year, directly or indirectly. Also, not forgetting my readers which I know I don't have many because my blog ain't that sort after, but still thank you for the 2 minutes of your time.


Photo by Lim Soon Chung

The run was dedicated to the Palestinian people. The struggles and sacrifices that the Palestinians are going through are never forgotten and always in our hearts and prayers.


The best way to sign off 2012 =D

No comments:

Post a Comment