March 21, 2012

Born to Run


Yerp! There's nothing more that excite us runners than reading about other runners. With that said, I went and grabbed myself 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall (courtesy of Baucer Buku 1 Malaysia). Got mine at MPH bookstore, One Utama and they’re the only MPH store in the Klang Valley that carries them. What are you waiting for? Go go go!!

You all probably heard about barefoot running. Perhaps, saw few runners running barefoot on race day. Some sane enough to have some protection by wearing minimalist shoes like Vibram Five Fingers. And now you can see that more and more running shoe companies are jumping on the bandwagon at this phenomenon of barefoot running. These days, more running shoes are emphasizing on forefoot and midfoot strikes rather than heel strikes. So far Newton running shoes are doing a tremendous job in that department. Apparently, heel striking (when the heel of the feet hit the ground first while running) is not the ideal and efficient way to run. In a long haul it can lead to serious injuries to your legs.

I did some online research on this whole barefoot/minimalist running whatever you want to call it before I got the book, and it gives me a new perspective on running. Nowadays, when I make a purchase on new running shoes I would take into consideration of the heel to toe height. The lower the better as it promotes a much more natural stride. I have yet to own a minimalist shoe, but it is coming soon!

I do not think that I’m going to be converted into barefoot running 100% after I’ve done reading this book, but minimalist shoe if not the best, it is surely an ideal way to enjoy barefoot running. It does not hurt to find out about barefoot running if you are new to the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment