August 6, 2018

Rinjani100 2018 - 60K race report (Part 2)




WS 3 – RINJANI SUMMIT (3,726 m)
Distance: 4.12 km
Total distance: 22.78 km
Time spent on feet: 3:33’40”
Time spent at WS: 19’16”
Elapsed time: 11:45’48”



The terrain to the summit was nothing like I could had imagined. Starting with solid sand track then passed through thick sand track where the sand went up covering the ankle, and finally loose gravel that sinks with every step forward. Condition got worse when my vision became blurry from the dust blown by the strong winds. I tried my best to keep moving, but found myself stopping every so often to catch my breath. It was really hard to maintain any consistent movement. Eventually by God’s will, I reached the summit at 10:56 am with about 30 minutes to spare before the summit 12 hour cut-off time. I spent a great amount of time at the summit, more than I should considering that it was a check point with no water and food. But one must take selfies and simply taking in the view. At the summit there were Ayie, Rem, Fahmi and Ecah. 




Ayie during the summit attack.




All covered up to face the strong winds and dust.



Alhamdulillah, I'm on top of the world.



WS 2 – SEMBALUN RIM (2,638 m)
Distance 4.20 km
Total distance: 26.98
Time spent on feet: 1:38’06”
Time spent at WS: 37’12”
Elapsed time: 14:01’06”



Descending from the summit, this was where the slipping and sliding started. I lost count how many times I fell on my ass. Visibility worsens when the cloud came and I still couldn’t see clearly. I even got myself lost for a while as I missed a turn and went off track. When I reached WS 2, I went to seek medical attention straight away. They rinsed my eyes with water to clean off the dirt caught in my eyes. Ayie offered his Brahim’s Nasi Goreng Ikan Masin which was way appetising than my Hutan Ration food bars which tasted like chalk block. Then I took a 15 minutes nap before Ecah came in WS 2 rushing me to get going as I had been there for quite a long time.



WS 4 – POS 1 (1,410 m)
Distance 6.19 km
Total distance: 33.17 km
Time spent on feet: 1:46’34”
Time spent at WS: 9”
Elapsed time: 15:47’49”



Hiking down Bukit Penyesalan from Sembalun Rim was not easy either. I kept slipping and falling. When I reached the vast grassland at the foot of Bukit Penyesalan, only then I could start running. Motorcycles are accessible here, so you could start seeing local motorists (gojet) were going back and forth picking up runners who had called their race off. From RP250,000 you can take the gojet all the way to the finish line if you don’t want to make the long journey back on foot. The price gets cheaper and cheaper once you are close to the village. They offered me RP150,000 but I only had RP100,000. Plus, I wasn’t planning to call my race off just yet.         




Descending from Bukit Penyesalan.


WS 5 – BAWAK NAO (991 m)
Distance 5.00 km
Total distance: 38.17 km
Time spent on feet: 52’57”
Time spent at WS: 8’09”
Elapsed time: 16:48’55”



It’s all runnable from the grassland at Pos 1 to the vegetation fields entering Bawak Nao village. Managed to catch up with Ayie going into WS 5 where the drop bags were. I changed into a fresh pair of socks. There will be two more major climbs with less than 4 hours’ remaining. Technically, I knew I wouldn’t make it to finish line. I wouldn’t even make it down Bukit Pergasingan. A lot of runners knew this too and decided to end their race here. I saw runners turning back to WS 5 as I started my climb up Bukit Pergasingan (1,700m). Even Ayie who left the WS 5 with me decided to turn back and end his race. I kept going alone as dawn approaches. I wanted to see how far I could go.  I wanted to climb Bukit Pergasingan, and Bukit Pergasingan didn’t disappoint. After 4KM in, I came out from the forest into an open grass field as the sun sets behind Mt. Rinjani. I was alone but I was happy.






Ascending Bukit Pergasingan during dusk.



DNF – BUKIT PERGASINGAN TRAIL HEAD (1,700 m)
Distance 7.28 km (WS 6 LIKUN - 11KM)
Total distance: 45.45 km
Time spent on feet: 3:45’52”
Elapsed time: 20:34’47”



In the distance, I could see people camping at the top of Bukit Pergasingan. I thought there would be a WS at the peak, but later found out as I was passing through that the young locals would go up Bukit Pergasingan on the weekends to have campouts. Here, I bumped into race marshals that were making sure tape markers are still visible because they said the kids climbing up Bukit Pergasingan would purposely take it down. Finally, after 20 hours, 44 km and 4,668m elevation gained, the race sweepers caught up with me, cut off my race tag and I officially DNF at the top of Bukit Pergasingan. It took me a good hour to make my way down. When I came down, I saw Ecah sitting at the trailhead probably pondering back on her race. We walked back to the race village which was about 3 km away.



Overall, Rinjani100 is a top and well organised trail running event. I recommend that you should try to do it at least once. It is challenging and brutal, but it is so unbelievably beautiful. I didn’t get the race ending I wanted, but I am grateful I had the opportunity and ability to be in this incredible mountains. I wouldn't made it this far without the support of my family especially my wife for putting up with my training and those who came on runs and hikes with me. Lots and lots of people helped me on this journey.




** Recently, Lombok has been hit with two major earthquakes on 29 July and 5 August. At least 90 people have been killed, hundreds more are injured and thousands of house damaged from both quakes. If you want to help out the relief effort, Rinjani100 team has set up channel for donation (monetary or goods and medical necessities). You can reach out to them at the contact numbers below: **





No comments:

Post a Comment