August 14, 2016

SCKLM 2016 - full marathon race report







This is my second and the last marathon for the year. Let's just say, the kid got his ass handed to him but finish none the less. However this is not the reason why I'm hanging up my running shoes already. At the beginning of the year, the aim was to enter only two marathons. So, I guess my running season is done and dusted in August =) 



Training



In June during the fasting month of Ramadan, I only managed to get a 10 km run in and that was it. Then in July, I managed to put in a total of 91 km run with the furthest distance being 15 km. I would usually put in more mileage for my training but I had been busy with work for the past month. When I registered for the marathon back in March, I aimed for a sub-5 finish. After my training, I lowered my expectation to a sub-6 finish. I knew that I was under prepared for something that needed a lot of preparation. 



Race day



The flag-off was at 4 a.m. Stopped for subuh prayer at KM15 where they had a prayer station set up for Muslim runners. I was running with a hydration bag which I carried my camera phone, cash, i.d, electrolyte gels and pills, and a kain pelikat (which I didn't know was provided). You can tell I wasn't aiming to break the world record time for a marathon that day. Runners aiming for PB's or just want to run fast and light would only rely on water stations to re-hydrate.



At KM30 I started feeling cramps hitting my quads especially on the descends. I had to occasionally stop, stretch and massage in order to continue running, but could only run a couple hundred meters before the cramps started kicking in again. From KM35 when the route took us to a couple more ascends, my quads just gave out and I knew sub-6 finish would eluded me this time. I ended up walking from KM38 until the last 500 meters towards the finish line. With what was little to nothing left in the tank and the cheers from the crowd, I tried to run through the cramps with a smile on my face crossing the finish line.



Thank you to everyone who came out to show support, from the volunteers to the supporters cheering, setting up their own water stations and snapping photos of runners. Appreciate it! Nothing much to say here, see you guys next year. Keep running!




I eventually lost sight of the 6:00 hour pacer lead by Mr. Choi.




Let's just say, all these fishes and I still can't find Dori.




At KM40 where I decided to take a nap.




With Zahid at the finish line. 

Let's just say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.




With Nasrul at the finish line. His first marathon.
Welcome to the club. Congrats!




I may be slow, but I'm still lapping everybody on the couch =P



No comments:

Post a Comment